Improved access to battery materials and strengthened European raw material independency
The RHINOCEROS project will facilitate access to battery materials by developing an innovative, circular, and highly performing processing chain that will repurpose or target the recycling of most of the materials from EoL batteries at high purity and competitive prices. Input material considered in RHINOCEROS are EoL LIBs from EVs and stationary energy storage, which are the main contributors to the rising demand for LIBs in Europe. Thus, the project will contribute to decreasing Europe’s dependency on CRMs imports (Li, Co, graphite) by demonstrating a recycling route from local EU resources.
- New breakthrough scientific discovery on repurposing and reusing LIBs for second-life applications
- Recycling of all the materials present in LIBs, such as metals, graphite, fluorinated compounds and polymers, active materials, etc.
- Sustainable, safe, low-carbon footprint technologies
- Zero liquid waste discharge process
- Pilot recycling process which will accelerate the growth of innovative, competitive and sustainable battery recycling and manufacturing industry
- Safer processes for operators
- Less toxic waste released
- Strengthened resilience, lowered dependency on CRMs imports required by the emerging European green growth